Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bolter Text: First Thoughts


Bolter’s introduction in “Writing Space” talks about digital media’s rise in popularity and how it now seems to overshadow the print form.  This text having been written in 2001, a full decade ago, I had to take the author’s writing with comprehension of the fact that back then digital technologies were not yet as mainstream as they are today.  Having said that I believe we are indeed headed towards a digital-exclusive world.  Although it won’t happen over night, I believe the digital format will eventually become recognized as prestigious a medium as print, and once that happens, it’s inevitable that the print form will be deemed obsolete.

I think this change is healthy because like any medium (films, music, video games), how we read and write will be constantly evolving.  Just because we are slowly moving away from print materials doesn’t mean that writing is losing its legitimacy; I think that’s simply an irrational fear from “purists.”  In fact, this new digital age will bring new life and possibilities to the world of literature.  Nowadays virtually anybody can post their thoughts, opinions, stories, or anecdotes online for the world to see, which is in my mind the best way for ideas to be spread and information to be learned.

8 comments:

  1. Do you think there is no cause for Bolter's concern that there is a rivalry or contest for the dominance of one media over another? Do you think digital texts and print texts can co-exist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only cause for concern would be if a person had a personal preference towards the "old" media. The text itself isn't going anywhere (Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet won't change from the bookstore shelf to your Kindle). I can't say anything about the distant future, but I know that print and digital texts can co-exist because they are doing so right now. As further generations get more accustomed to technology at earlier ages and parents start to become very technologically literate, it wouldn't surprise me if 100-200 years from now most texts will be digital, but there will always be a print form as long as there is an audience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also don't understand all this fear of change. It seems so cliche and so caveman-like to be afraid to step outside our own boundaries. And, with this text written a decade ago, it's like reading a carved stone detailing the doom of literature as the printing press becomes popular. It's odd to me, seeing as how I have a Kindle. I don't understand the relation some people make with writing and presentation. A word is still a word whether it be onscreen or on page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your claims that we are shifting towards a digital future where printed text will be obsolete. And, like you said, this isn't a bad thing because digital writing opens many doors for creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the fact that reading text in an electronic form does not change the "truth" of the particular text, but I don't necessarily agree that there will be a time when paper books are completely obsolete. I think there will aways be a need for books and libraries as well as online resources and digital texts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how you took when Bolter wrote this text into consideration. That really helped me to comprehend the reading better. I agree with you that no matter how you read the text it is still the text.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that the electronic text will be viewed just as useful as printed text. It seems we are headed in that direction but their are many people that are against this claim. The creativity and communication the internet space brings is very valuable and should not be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like I said in class I agree that it is inevitable for electronic media to take over printed text. By that I mean that it will dominate books. I do not think that books will be thrown away. Maybe at some point in the future they will stop being printed or only certain texts will be printed but for the most part electronic text is cheaper, more accessible, easier to distribute and publish.

    ReplyDelete